These cookies are so good and fast to make- ready in 30 to 40 minutes. They are simple to make, unique and pretty.We make them all year long but love them during the holidays.
Makes 4 dozen
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp of almond extract
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sliced almonds
2 TBS milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
3-4 TBS milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a small bowl sift or stir together the flour, baking powder and the salt. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and almond extract and beat until light and fluffy.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder and salt; mixing just until combined.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces, and roll each one into a log about 12 inches long. Place 2 logs onto each well greased or preferably parchment lined cookie sheet- 4 to 5 inches apart.
- Flatten each roll by hand until it is about 3 inches wide. The dough is sticky so you may need to flour your hands a bit. They don't have to be perfect, once their cut you can't tell if they weren't totally even. I love that about this recipe!
- Brush flattened roll with milk and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Place both sheets into preheated oven.
- Make the Glaze:
- In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk until smooth.
- Place glaze into a small zip lock bag and snip a small corner off.
- Drizzle the glaze, out of the corner hole, over the completely cooled cookies.