Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"The Cookbook"



I need to talk about "The Cookbook". We have a few family recipes. Every family does. I've seen some family cookbooks that are several recipes bound together, or even little boxes of recipe cards. Here's what my gals are bringing to the table...


 That's a four inch binder people. I, Laura, am a culinary school trained pastry cook, but my mom, Margaret, is a better cook and baker than me. My grandma, Hope, may be better than her (although it's too close to call). And my great-grandma, Clara, is still canning fruits and vegetables from her backyard garden and orchard and making candy at age 93. I'm sure some of the recipes in here are well over 100 years old.

Along the way it has been added to by my great-grandma, my grandma, my mom, and even my dad's mom has gotten a few into Grandma Hope's master cookbook. I went out to Maine for a visit one summer during college, and I came home with my very own copy of "The Book". It was a really exciting day. My grandma found that vegetable fabric and saved it to make my binder pretty, and she even put dividers in to separate the different categories. Thanks, grandma!

No comments:

Blogging tips