Ok, I'll admit it... I love reality TV and I actually like watching Sister Wives on TLC. I don't know if it's the fact that I'm so intrigued by their lifestyle of that I do like each of them. The whole plural marriage thing is a bit much for me to take in but they love each other and they love God so who am I to cast the first stone. On the episode last week they showed a caramel cook off and I really wanted to get the recipe. Well low and behold right there at minute 38 on the tivo, they showed the recipe sitting on the counter for a split second. Thanks to freeze frame, I copied the recipe and was very thankful for the hand written notes on it.
Here's the recipe:
Kody's mom-Reva’s Caramels from Sister Wives
- 1/2 pound butter
- 2 cups light Karo Syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can of Evaporated Milk- 12 oz. size
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Optional- 1 cup of chopped nuts
- Add all ingredients into a large pan, bring to a boil over medium to medium high heat until it's 250° - 320°
- Add 1 can of evaporated milk slowly- so mixture doesn’t stop boiling.
- Continue to boil to firm ball stage 245° - 250°
- For every 500 feet over sea level, decrease temp by 1 degree. So for my house at 6000 feet- I have to decrease the temp by 12° -my final temp would be between 233° - 238°)
- Use this rule for any kind of candy or fudge that you make. If you live at altitude and wondered why your candy wasn't turning out this is the key!!!!
- Remove from heat and carefully add 1 tsp of vanilla and if you like nuts, add 1 cup of chipped nuts- optional.
- Place in well buttered pan and cool
- Once it's all cooled, cut into small squares and wrap in waxed paper.