Scandinavian Almond Bars
These cookies are so good and very fast to make- ready in 30 to 40 minutes. They are delicious, unique and pretty.We make them all year long but love them during the holidays. This recipe came from my husband's Swedish Grandmother and is a family favorite.
Makes 4 dozen
1 cup softened butter
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp of almond extract
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
4 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup sliced/ slivered almonds
3-4 TBS milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
6-8 TBS milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a small bowl sift or stir together the flour, baking powder and the salt. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and almond extract and beat until light and fluffy.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder and salt; mixing just until combined.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces, and roll each one into a log about 12 inches long. Place 2 logs onto each well greased or preferably parchment lined cookie sheet- 4 to 5 inches apart.
- Flatten each roll by hand until it is about 3 inches wide. The dough is sticky so you may need to flour your hands a bit. They don't have to be perfect, once their cut you can't tell if they weren't totally even. I love that about this recipe!
- Brush flattened roll with milk and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Place both sheets into preheated oven.
- Make the Glaze:
- In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk until smooth.
- Place glaze into a small zip lock bag and snip a small corner off.
- Drizzle the glaze, out of the corner hole, over the completely cooled cookies.