Pancake mix might seem easier than pancakes from scratch, but it really only takes about 3 minutes longer to make them from scratch and they taste so much better!
Here is the quick and easy pancake recipe that I have used for over 30 years and the one that my mom and grandma have used for longer than that! The original recipe called for a lump of butter the size of a small egg.
When all my kids were at home, and mornings were busy, I'd measure out the dry ingredients into my pour bowl and mix the wet ingredients in a cup that I'd place in the fridge. In the morning all I had to do is mix the 2 together and stir.
This is a great basic plain pancake recipe. It's perfect to play with! Want blueberries? Add a cup of them to the batter. Chocolate chip pancakes?- Add 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips or 3/4 cup regular ones. You can add cinnamon and spices to them or anything you like.
I mix mine in a plastic bowl with a spout so I can pour it right out onto my griddle.
This amount makes 12-14 Large 5"-6" pancakes
Click Here for a Printable Copy of this recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbs sugar that's 1/4 cup to make it easier
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1- 1 1/2 cups milk- Add in the smaller amount and then add in more until the batter is the consistency of cake batter. It should pour out and spread a little but it shouldn't run all over the place.
- 4 TBS melted butter (1/4 cup)- If you don't want to melt butter, you can add 4 Tbs of vegetable oil instead
- Place the butter into a microwave safe dish and cover. Microwave for 45 seconds to melt.
- Into a bowl place the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Stir to combine.
- Add in the eggs, milk and melted butter.
- Stir until combined
- Pour the batter onto a medium hot griddle or frying pan. A drop of water should dance on it for about 2 seconds then evaporate.
- Wait until bubbles form on the top of the pancakes and the sides are set up. peek under to see if the bottom is golden brown. Once it is, flip and cook until the second side is golden.
- Flip onto a plate and eat it up.